Change of Fashion world with Anus Flies

I've lost the last few days to reading Susan Casey's books on rogue waves and white sharks. I can't seem to put the books down, though I've been sitting so much that my sciatica flared up. Casey's detail is fascinating, a glimpse into worlds I'll never get experience for myself. At times, the details are even funny, like when Casey, who is living on a boat anchored a few hundred feet off the Farallon islands, a known great white hotspot, talks about kelp flies: "their preferred habitat is the inside of a seal's anus. The anus flies spent their time in one of three ways: tormenting us, tormenting the poor seals who had to house them in such an inhospitable place, and copulating with abandon in giant fly gang-bangs. This morning I'd counted a vertical stack of thirteen flies. Swarms of anus flies would put a definite damper on sleeping outside."

I doubt that Casey or her publisher would have picked this snippet as an endorsement, but I promise you that both books (The Wave; The Devil's Teeth) are worth reading.









No comments:

Post a Comment